Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are examples of cellular decomposition?

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Say X is a CW-complex. Then for any n, the n-skeleton X^n of X is obtained from the (n-1)-skeleton X^(n-1) by gluing some n-cells on X^(n-1) along their boundary.

From what I read, it seems that the way to obtain X^n from X^(n-1) in this way is not unique.

Is this non-uniqueness superfluous (in the sense that only the way in which the cells are attached can differ), or are there really examples where one can obtain X^n from X^(n-1) by using a different number of n-cells?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2009 #2
    cell decompositions are not unique.

for instance,

the 2 sphere is a 2 disk whose boundary is attached to a point.
    it is also a circle attached to a point then two 2 disks attached to the circle along their boundaries.

4. Feb 15, 2009 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello wofsy and thanks for the reply.

But I don't think the example that you give answers my question. Let me rephrase it. If a CW-complex X has dimension n (meaning the maximum dimension of cells is n), then it is obtained from a (sub-)CW-complex X^(n-1) of dimension n-1 by attaching n cells to it. Is it possible to get X from X^(n-1) in two ways that involve a different amount of n-cells?

I'm guessing no but I don't see how to prove this.

Oh, I just noticed that the open n-cells in X are precisely the connected components of X\X^(n-1) so building X from X^(n-1) with a different numbers of n-cells is impossible!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook