What are my options after an M.Sc. in theoretical physics?

• Programs
  • Thread starter JOULEJATT
  • Start date
I am an engineering graduate(ME) and want to study physics at masters level. If I get a Masters degree in theoretical physics, can I go for a PhD. in an experimental sub field? Say, I write a thesis in Nuclear & particle physics to get a masters degree, Can I go for experimental Nuclear & particle physics during my PhD.? Can I make the transition from theoretical to experimental after masters?

Answers and Replies

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Generally yes, although the details might depend on your location. My experience is with the Canadian system.

I think the biggest issue is that you'll have to climb a learning curve again for the PhD. For systems where there is a progressive transition from an MSc to a PhD, those who stay in the same field generally have a jump start on their project. They've already done a lot of background reading, and the project tends to be an expansion of work already done. Those who change fields have to start back at square one.

That might be a little different if you're in a system that offers a course-based master's degree, in which case it's not as much of a concern.

In a system that generally transitions directly from the BSc to a PhD (as is more common in the US), this might be more difficult.