1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are photographic plates?

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    what are photographic plates ? why are they used radioactivity experiments?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What did you find when you did a Google search for "photographic plate" and what don't you understand about it?

4. Dec 6, 2015 #3
    google explain it in terms of photography, a film used in that for imaging. i want to know why in every experiment of radioactivity these plates are taken.

5. Dec 6, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Which experiments are these (at least some examples) and when (approximately) were they performed? What other technologies are you thinking of, as alternatives to photographic plates?

Scientists choose technologies for their experiments based on what is available at the time, and their advantages and disadvantages.

6. Dec 6, 2015 #5
    "In the discovery of radioactivity. Henry becquerel placed some uranium with photographic plates"

7. Dec 6, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and what was the result ?

I have done this experiment myself in years gone by

Dave

8. Dec 6, 2015 #7

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Photographic plates are ancient artifacts, typically consisting of glass sheets covered with a light-sensitive emulsion; upon exposure to light, the emulsion becomes opaque.

9. Dec 7, 2015 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tried Google (which is always a good idea)_. This link came up in the top few of a very long result list for "Radiation Detectors History". Read it and you can be an 'expert' on the history of such things. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook