Distance of ions from photographic plate

• Thread starter sarahaha288
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions Plate
In summary, the question asks about the distance of the spot on a photographic plate from the entry point for each ion, assuming half an orbit is completed. The given ions are N+subscript2, O+subscript2, and NO+, with atomic masses of 14.0031amu and 15.9949amu. The magnetic field strength is 8.5MN/C and the velocity is 30.0km/s, with the field being uniform and perpendicular to the velocity. The equation used is R=mvc/qB, with q=1.60*10^-19C, m=atomic mass multiplied by 2 and converted to kg, v=velocity, c=speed of light, and B=m
sarahaha288

Homework Statement

How far would the spot on the photographic plate be from the entry point for each ion, assuming that each ion completes half an orbit?
I am given three ions, N+subscript2, O+subscript2, NO+
They have atomic masses of N=14.0031amu and O=15.9949amu.
I am given the magnetic field strength=8.5MN/C
velocity=30.0km/s
The magnetic field is uniform and perpendicular to the velocity.

Homework Equations

I tried to use R=mvc/ qB

q is the charge, m=mass, v=speed, c=speed of light, B= magnetic field strength

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried simply substituting these in and using the standard 1.60*10^-19C for the charge. For the mass i just took the atomic mass, multiplied it by the subscript of two for the first two and then converted it to kg.
I got it wrong.. and i can't tell why.
If i could just figure out what i did I'm pretty sure it's the mass or the charge that is incorrect but i have not had chemistry in quite awhile and can't figure it out...

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it more. Do the ions really hit the plate 1 radius away from their starting position?

No. I think it's 2R now. Thank you... I'm not sure how i overlooked that.

1. What is the distance of ions from a photographic plate?

The distance of ions from a photographic plate can vary depending on the experimental setup and conditions. However, typically, the distance is in the range of a few millimeters to several centimeters.

2. How does the distance of ions from a photographic plate affect the resulting image?

The distance of ions from a photographic plate can affect the sharpness and clarity of the resulting image. If the ions are too far away, the image may appear blurry or faint. If the ions are too close, the image may appear overexposed or distorted.

3. What factors can influence the distance of ions from a photographic plate?

Several factors can influence the distance of ions from a photographic plate, including the strength of the electric field, the size and shape of the ions, and the distance between the ion source and the photographic plate.

4. How can the distance of ions from a photographic plate be measured?

The distance of ions from a photographic plate can be measured using specialized equipment, such as a micrometer or a laser interferometer. These tools allow for precise measurements of the distance between the ion source and the photographic plate.

5. Why is the distance of ions from a photographic plate important in scientific experiments?

The distance of ions from a photographic plate is important in scientific experiments because it can affect the accuracy and reliability of the results. By controlling and measuring the distance, scientists can ensure that the resulting images are clear and detailed, allowing for more accurate analysis and conclusions.