Distance of ions from photographic plate

  • Thread starter Thread starter sarahaha288
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ions Plate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sarahaha288
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How far would the spot on the photographic plate be from the entry point for each ion, assuming that each ion completes half an orbit?
I am given three ions, N+subscript2, O+subscript2, NO+
They have atomic masses of N=14.0031amu and O=15.9949amu.
I am given the magnetic field strength=8.5MN/C
velocity=30.0km/s
The magnetic field is uniform and perpendicular to the velocity.

Homework Equations



I tried to use R=mvc/ qB

q is the charge, m=mass, v=speed, c=speed of light, B= magnetic field strength

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried simply substituting these in and using the standard 1.60*10^-19C for the charge. For the mass i just took the atomic mass, multiplied it by the subscript of two for the first two and then converted it to kg.
I got it wrong.. and i can't tell why.
If i could just figure out what i did I'm pretty sure it's the mass or the charge that is incorrect but i have not had chemistry in quite awhile and can't figure it out...

Thanks for all your help in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it more. Do the ions really hit the plate 1 radius away from their starting position?
 
No. I think it's 2R now. Thank you... I'm not sure how i overlooked that.