James and the Giant Peach, The Fantastic Mr Fox and various other Roald Dahl titles ignited my imagination as a child, I have a huge place in my heart for them still. The best!
Currahee. A WWII memoir by Donald Burgett, a paratrooper in 101st. My dad gave it to me and I read it when I was about 15, and then re-read the cover of it for years. It was amazing to see the Band of Brothers series which basically mirrored this story, as I had it so firmly crafted in my mind for years before that!
Catch-22 is my all time favourite book since I read it about 10 years ago (having seen the movie and told the book was far better!) I laughed, I cried, I laugh-cried and I go back for a visit every other year.
Shantaram. A really great story. I'm not sure how much of it, if any, is based on reality but it was a hell of a page-turner.
Genius (Richard Feynman) by James Glieck really peaked my interest in physics, I've since read a bunch of Feynman's lay-books as well, and I am so inspired!
Siddartha by Herman Hesse. I read this, and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho in the same week and I had such a peaceful feeling for days and days as I reflected on them. I re-read them from time to time and still love them to bits.
Hitchhikers Guide. They're all great. I laugh my *** off everytime I pick them up.
1984. I actually never want to read this book again it shocked me to the core, and I wasn't expecting a nursery rhyme. The final pages were really, really rough. An amazing story that makes me feel very, very uncomfortable about humans.