What are some household items capable of gaining an electric charge?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
ctamasi
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Hey. I'm just doing a lab an electrostatics and my coursebook suggests a number of materials to use, however, I'm not really getting clear reactions with them.

The purpose of the lab is to create an electrostatic series. I first have to establish a reference material; I chose cellophane or a balloon because of their weight and therefore ease of noticing a reaction.

Then I have to rub the reference material in wool, and since polymers rubbed in wool acquire a negative charge, therefore are more electronegative than wool, I can determine the remainder of materials as being electropositive or electronegative by the level of attraction or repulsion experienced when another material is brough close to the reference material.

The best materials I've found are pop cans, balloons and plastic wrap. What are some other good materials to use?

Thanks a lot.
 
Physics news on Phys.org