What are some real world applications of quadratics?

In summary, quadratic equations have a variety of real world applications, such as in optics, pH buffers, and geometric surface problems. They can also be used to accurately describe the path of a falling object. However, it is not recommended to jump off a building for the purpose of solving a quadratic equation.
5ymmetrica1
So in high school my teacher would like to always talk about how useful quadratic equations are in a diverse set of circumstances when using math to measure and calculate real life phenomena, but he never really mentioned any real world applications outside of a few abstract word problems.

So I'd like to ask the engineers and mathematicians here, what are some real world situations where quadratic equations would be used to solve a particular problem?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As a quick response, a few application areas which come to mind are Optics, and pH Buffers, and some geometric surface problems based on rectangular shapes. Check your book (assuming either Intermediate Algebra, or College Algebra) for application problem exercises, since a good Algebra book would have them.

5ymmetrica1 said:
So in high school my teacher would like to always talk about how useful quadratic equations are in a diverse set of circumstances when using math to measure and calculate real life phenomena, but he never really mentioned any real world applications outside of a few abstract word problems.

So I'd like to ask the engineers and mathematicians here, what are some real world situations where quadratic equations would be used to solve a particular problem?

Go to a high building. Jump off the building. Your path can be accurately described using quadratic equations (ignoring air resistance).

micromass said:
Go to a high building. Jump off the building.

Don't do this.

I have to agree with diffy, as then I would not be able to calculate anything :D

Thanks for the replies everyone

What are some real world applications of quadratics?

Quadratic equations are used to model a variety of real world situations, including projectile motion, optimization problems, and geometric shapes.

How are quadratic equations used in physics?

Quadratic equations are commonly used to model the motion of objects in projectile motion problems, such as the trajectory of a ball thrown through the air. They are also used in kinematics to calculate acceleration and velocity.

What are some examples of optimization problems that use quadratics?

Quadratic equations are used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. For example, a company may use quadratic equations to determine the optimal price for a product in order to maximize profits.

How do quadratics relate to geometric shapes?

Quadratic equations can be used to model the shape of parabolas, which are found in a variety of natural and man-made structures such as bridges and arches. They are also used to calculate the area and perimeter of geometric shapes.

What is the significance of the discriminant in quadratic equations?

The discriminant, b^2-4ac, is used to determine the nature of the solutions to a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. And if it is negative, there are no real solutions.