What are some top logic/proof/puzzle games for puzzle enthusiasts?

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary: I think it was Russian, I can't remember, I saw a video of someone playing a game of minesweeper at 800x600 and maxing out at 1200x800. That's when I knew I needed to start trying to improve.I think it would be a good idea to practice more often, and not just for speed. Accuracy and consistency are important in any game.
damn that's hard 266 sec and i only finish 60-70% of the map...1+ game then i quit

Physics news on Phys.org
You were going for time on that monster?! I was just trying to beat it :smile: If I went for time and died on a 50/50 guess at the end I would be sooo pissed :mad:

lol no i was just saying how long it took...i can't even get passed 70% because i have to end up guessing...i'ma put it at 400mines and see what happens.

Nonosweeper looks insane, I'm having my fun with minesweeper clone now though, I beat 400 mines in a bit over 300, I don't have a screenshot of it though.

edit: I can't believe you flagged every one!

lol I flagged every one hoping that it would help me with the end, which it did up until that guess that killed it all.

Yeah the game seems extremely easy at 400 mines, but the fear of the mistake slows it down dramatically.

damn 400 seconds and i get 2 50/50s...busted on the first one.

Yeah those guesses are extra annoying with such a big board. Go back and play regular ol expert, it feels like a joke lol.

ARGHH ...man I'm at 399s with 3 squares left and 1 bomb
like this , x-bomb, ? unknown, w-wall...

xxw
x?w
x?w
x?w
xxw
I have yet to complete this thing

i blam it on you mattmns for getting me hooked...

Hey that is not bad! You at least have a 2 in 3 chance of winning!

mattmns said:
Hey that is not bad! You at least have a 2 in 3 chance of winning!

No kidding, after playing that huge one for an hour or so I want back to expert and beat my old record by 3 seconds within 5 minutes of playing. I am at 72 now. can't wait to break into the 60's

Ok can anything beyond what I will show in the second screenshot be proved?

http://img206.echo.cx/img206/5148/3test1cv.png

Is this all that can be said?

http://img121.echo.cx/img121/7855/proof3test9zt.png

edit.. lol just realized that the first shot does not help much :cry:

Here is the board attachted.

Attachments

• 3_test.zip
    212 bytes · Views: 175
Have you all played expert with show mines on? I am terrible at it. I can barely get into the 70s when I know where the mines and the open spots are.

show mines? as for the above picture you best bet would be to click on the other side of the bomb wall.

argh now I'm madd...i've bene trying to atleast complete 49x49:400...but i havne't in the past 3-5 days that I've got this game...its all because of stupid 50/50s...
this time the 50/50 came early about 50s in so i was just practigin...little did i know i would complete the rest of the map at 380s and behold the 50/50s hate me again.

so what do you guys do when you get early 50/50s? do you start a new one?

If I get a 50/50 early I usually just make the guess then, no real reason to wait til the end to lose it.

In your second screenshot, if you see the 2-3-3 vertical on the top right, and then the 3 a few squares to the left of it, my first reaction would've been to open the square immediately to the right of the 3, and if it isnta mine, then the square under the 2-3-3 vertical isn't a mine either. That's not certain though. What is certain is towards the bottom with that mine that looks kind of like an island with the 3's next to it. The flags next to both 3's are mines.

To prove it you can isolate the area and show that the 2 beneath the 3's is actually a 1, since it already has 1 of its mines found, and the 3's themselves are just 2's. The 2's above the 3's are also 1's because the one right above the 3's has one flag satisfied. It simplifies to a 1-2-2-1 situation, which we know is obviously the 2's have mines next to them. Here the 3's have mines next to them.

Generally when you see a cluster of 3's like that with lower numbers on each side , both 3's have mines.

neurocomp2003 said:
argh now I'm madd...i've bene trying to atleast complete 49x49:400...but i havne't in the past 3-5 days that I've got this game...its all because of stupid 50/50s...
this time the 50/50 came early about 50s in so i was just practigin...little did i know i would complete the rest of the map at 380s and behold the 50/50s hate me again.

so what do you guys do when you get early 50/50s? do you start a new one?

On the 49x49 I keep playing and skip em, if I finish the whole map and it comes down to a 50 50 then even if I lose I consider it a win and note the time, since technically I did best the board. I've never reported 50/50 losses as wins to you guys though so don't worry :)

Great logic whozum! Never even thought of that being the 1221 pattern!

mattmns said:
Great logic whozum! Never even thought of that being the 1221 pattern!

My gut reaction, which was to do the top ones, would've been wrong though! Gah, I can never sit and think when I'm working on these things, its alwasy like 'go, go, go, don't stop' and I end up making assumptions like I did.

Simplifying is probably the best way to solve ones with higher numbers though, I always try to reduce the higher number ones into lower number patterns that I recognize and knw easily.

booya 75s on exp

neurocomp2003 said:
booya 75s on exp
That's really close to my record, I guess I better get crackin. I'm at 73 right now.

yeah your right after playing that big map for like 2-3 hors straight...i played teh exp for about 1hr...man where does the time go...time spent when i should be coding ...bah

damn that was close...i'm impressed...would love to see how fast your goin...
whats your ideal start phase.

I have given up I'm a mid70-early 90s player and can't improve anymore.

Thats what I thought when I was at 250, then 180, then 140, then 100, then 90, then 80... keep it up man. You'll get better.

Ouch whozum, sooo close! I wish I could break 90, but am getting slower in my old age :smile:

whozum...nah I've been stuck in the 70-90 range for like 8 years...my sister has beaten the game in the late 60s from like 4 yrs ago..tahts whom i learned the game.

New best for me, almost broke into the 80s.
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9845/expert903sj.png

Last edited by a moderator: