What are strange , obscure , ignored fields of mathematics?

In summary: Mathematics is inconsistent, in a sense that there are many different ways to solve a problem. This makes it difficult to determine which path to take, and can lead to confusion.There are many different fields which are dead or dying, and it is hard to determine which ones are really in trouble. It is important to be aware of which fields are experiencing a decline in interest, so that you can find other fields to focus your studies on.
Samardar
Any Ideas? That are outside the mainstream?

Physics news on Phys.org
You a hippie or something?

I would actually be very interested in knowing about this as well. From what I've come across, the most dead fields seem to be Calculus of Variations, Morse Theory, and k-theory.

ahsanxr said:
You a hippie or something?

:rofl: That actually made me laugh out loud.

Oriako said:
I would actually be very interested in knowing about this as well. From what I've come across, the most dead fields seem to be Calculus of Variations, Morse Theory, and k-theory.

K-theory, Morse Theory dead? I believe you are quite mistaken.

Functor97 said:
K-theory, Morse Theory dead? I believe you are quite mistaken.
"The most dead", from what I've seen... I could be hugely mistaken, I just can't think of any other fields of math that would be less active (or have less researchers in them) or whatever it is that drops the frequency of published papers.

Oriako said:
"The most dead", from what I've seen... I could be hugely mistaken, I just can't think of any other fields of math that would be less active (or have less researchers in them) or whatever it is that drops the frequency of published papers.

K theory is of vital interest to string theorists. It is by no means a "dead" topic.

Foliations, Fractals? Haven't seen much work on foliations since Thurston and not much on fractals beyond recreation. No clue how obscure you mean though. There aren't really obscure fields that haven't been researched into anymore. Granted, if there was one, most mathematicians would jump at the opportunity to be a pioneer in the field.

Perhaps the most 'dead' fields would be ones that have been practically cleaned out.

Foliations and fractals have gotten a lot of renewed interest in them in the past couple of decades due to non-commutative geometry.

^ In particular (not sure about fractals), I haven't seen much work in foliations since the '70s, on Thurston and Haefliger's publications. I'm not too sure if there are any recent developments within the 2000's.

Can anyone think of any others? Is Category theory really popular?

Oriako said:

LOL at thinking K-theory is dead :biggrin:

micromass said:
LOL at thinking K-theory is dead :biggrin:
Oops! Well now I know not to believe what I hear from one person who is also an undergraduate XD.

@Anonymous217: Which fields have been so well studied that there is not much left to do?

The most dead part of mathematics is high school algebra . there have been no research papers in this field since centuries

A field which is dead is something like "constructive geometry". Given a figure, can we construct it with ruler and compass. Such a problems are now easily solved by Galois theory and I have no knowledge of research papers from that area. That doesn't mean that Galois theory is dead however.

General topology is a dying field, in my opinion. There are less and less research papers from that area. We can say that general topology is "solved". There are some unsolved problems, but they are rather obscure...

1. What is topology and how is it related to strange fields of mathematics?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric shapes that do not change when they are stretched, bent, or twisted. It is related to strange fields of mathematics because it deals with abstract and often counterintuitive concepts such as knots, surfaces, and higher dimensions.

2. What is chaos theory and how does it apply to obscure fields of mathematics?

Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. It applies to obscure fields of mathematics because it deals with unpredictable and seemingly random phenomena, which have many real-world applications.

3. What is combinatorics and why is it considered an ignored field of mathematics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that studies the ways in which objects can be combined, arranged, or selected. It is considered an ignored field of mathematics because it is often overshadowed by other branches, despite its many practical applications in computer science, statistics, and other fields.

4. What is game theory and how does it relate to strange fields of mathematics?

Game theory is a branch of mathematics that studies decision-making strategies in competitive situations. It relates to strange fields of mathematics because it often deals with non-traditional games, such as games with infinite players or games with no clear winner.

5. What is fractal geometry and why is it considered an obscure field of mathematics?

Fractal geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies patterns that repeat at different scales. It is considered an obscure field of mathematics because it is relatively new and not yet fully understood, despite its many applications in fields such as computer graphics and modeling natural phenomena.