1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are strange , obscure , ignored fields of mathematics?

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    Any Ideas? That are outside the mainstream?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2
    You a hippie or something?

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3
    I would actually be very interested in knowing about this as well. From what I've come across, the most dead fields seem to be Calculus of Variations, Morse Theory, and k-theory.

5. Oct 21, 2011 #4
    :rofl: That actually made me laugh out loud.

6. Oct 21, 2011 #5
    K-theory, Morse Theory dead? I believe you are quite mistaken.

7. Oct 21, 2011 #6
    "The most dead", from what I've seen... I could be hugely mistaken, I just can't think of any other fields of math that would be less active (or have less researchers in them) or whatever it is that drops the frequency of published papers.

8. Oct 21, 2011 #7
    K theory is of vital interest to string theorists. It is by no means a "dead" topic.

9. Oct 21, 2011 #8
    Foliations, Fractals? Haven't seen much work on foliations since Thurston and not much on fractals beyond recreation. No clue how obscure you mean though. There aren't really obscure fields that haven't been researched into anymore. Granted, if there was one, most mathematicians would jump at the opportunity to be a pioneer in the field.

Perhaps the most 'dead' fields would be ones that have been practically cleaned out.

10. Oct 23, 2011 #9
    Foliations and fractals have gotten a lot of renewed interest in them in the past couple of decades due to non-commutative geometry.

11. Oct 23, 2011 #10
    ^ In particular (not sure about fractals), I haven't seen much work in foliations since the '70s, on Thurston and Haefliger's publications. I'm not too sure if there are any recent developments within the 2000's.

12. Oct 23, 2011 #11
    Can anyone think of any others? Is Category theory really popular?

13. Oct 23, 2011 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

LOL at thinking K-theory is dead :biggrin:

14. Oct 23, 2011 #13
  15. Oct 24, 2011 #14
    Oops! Well now I know not to believe what I hear from one person who is also an undergraduate XD.

@Anonymous217: Which fields have been so well studied that there is not much left to do?

16. Oct 24, 2011 #15
    The most dead part of mathematics is high school algebra . there have been no research papers in this field since centuries

17. Oct 24, 2011 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A field which is dead is something like "constructive geometry". Given a figure, can we construct it with ruler and compass. Such a problems are now easily solved by Galois theory and I have no knowledge of research papers from that area. That doesn't mean that Galois theory is dead however.

General topology is a dying field, in my opinion. There are less and less research papers from that area. We can say that general topology is "solved". There are some unsolved problems, but they are rather obscure...

18. Oct 24, 2011 #17

Dembadon

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook