What are the best books for learning about analog computing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of solving differential equations with analog circuits. The individual is looking for recommendations on books to help them get started. Suggestions are made to start by simulating circuits in LTSpice and to look at resources such as books by Dr. Bernd Ulmann and older manuals from the Golden Age of Analog Computing.
haider
I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this question but I've been reading online about solving differential equations with analog circuits for a while now and I wanted to get started by making my own circuits. So far I've found some DIY articles and cursory guides but I'd rather get started by reading a somewhat comprehensive text. What books do you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend the latest book by Dr. Bernd Ulmann though he is oriented towards using Analog Computers more than building individual circuits but the circuit is the same;

https://www.google.com/books/editio...omputer_Programming/a3nnDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

I concur with @Baluncore about simulating analog circuits in LTSpice first. I have done this with different physics problems including QM wave functions.

1. What is analog computing?

Analog computing is a form of computing that uses continuous physical variables, such as voltage or current, to represent and process data. It differs from digital computing, which uses discrete values, such as binary digits.

2. Why should I learn about analog computing?

Analog computing is still used in various industries, such as engineering and physics, and understanding its principles can help you better understand and design systems that use continuous variables. It can also provide insights into the history and development of computing.

3. What are some good books for learning about analog computing?

Some popular books for learning about analog computing include "Analog Computing" by Eugene M. Izhikevich, "Analog Computing: Methods and Applications" by Robert J. Kline, and "Analog Computing: The Technology of the Past" by James S. Peacock.

4. Are there any online resources for learning about analog computing?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about analog computing, such as tutorials, videos, and online courses. Some recommended websites include Analog Circuit Design, Analog Computing, and All About Circuits.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in electrical engineering to understand analog computing?

While a background in electrical engineering can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand analog computing. Many books and resources on the subject are written for a general audience and do not require extensive knowledge in engineering. However, some basic understanding of circuits and electronics can be beneficial.