What are the Best Calculus Books for Beginners?

In summary, the best Calculus book for a first-time student is Morris Kline's Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach.
hatelove
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread, but I am looking for some supplemental Calculus books for my first class.

I "accidentally" placed into Calculus because I took my school's assessment math exam and scored 100 on the college algebra, trig, and pre-calc sections (only about a dozen questions per section) since the questions were ridiculously easy and I don't think this test did any justice to the basic foundations required to be successful in Calculus and beyond. Which is why this summer I am taking two math courses instead of spending an entire semester reviewing material I am familiar with and can probably re-learn over the summer instead.

Anyway, the text our school normally uses for Calc is James Stewart's Calculus (not sure if it's Early Transcendals) and I'm told by several of my maths/physics friends (most of them are professors or PhD candidates) that Stewart is terrible to learn Calculus from, and rather suggested Serge Lang and Spivak for more rigorous and challenging content. I have no idea what kind of faith physicists/mathematicians have in normal students such as myself that we'd be able to do well with such difficult texts, but I'll probably use them anyway nonetheless because I need to be good at maths even though I admit I am most definitely not the brightest crayon in the box.

Do you guys have any suggestions in particular for entry-level Calc texts?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't do better than Morris Kline's Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach. This is the book I always recommend, mainly because Kline has real applications. He motivates like no other. It's also Dover, so it's not too expensive.

Ackbach said:
You can't do better than Morris Kline's Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach. This is the book I always recommend, mainly because Kline has real applications. He motivates like no other. It's also Dover, so it's not too expensive.

I like Kline but I do think that the use of customary units is to be deprecated. What we need is Kline in SI.

CB

1. What is Calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change, accumulation, and integration. It is important because it provides the foundation for understanding and solving complex problems in science, engineering, and economics.

2. Who is "Books for beginner Calculus" for?

Books for beginner Calculus are designed for students who are just starting to learn the subject. They are also useful for anyone who needs a refresher on the basic concepts of Calculus.

3. What topics are typically covered in "Books for beginner Calculus"?

Some common topics covered in beginner Calculus books include limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of these concepts to real-world problems. Some books may also cover basic algebra and trigonometry review.

4. What are some recommended "Books for beginner Calculus" for self-study?

Some popular books for self-study of beginner Calculus include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson, and "Calculus for Dummies" by Mark Ryan. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and goals.

5. How can "Books for beginner Calculus" help me prepare for higher level math courses?

Mastering the fundamentals of Calculus is essential for success in higher level math courses, such as Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra. "Books for beginner Calculus" can help you build a strong foundation of knowledge and problem-solving skills that will be useful in these courses.