There are also some good non-mathematics physics books out there (more on the terms of "physical science / conceptual physics." At the college-level, I use "How Things Work" by Louis Bloomfield... and there's also "The Flying Circus of Physics" by Jearl Walker (Maybe it's just the edition I used back in the 90's, but I'm not so fond of Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics").
At this stage in your career, I'd suggest pairing one of these kind of books with an algebra-based book (maybe like Giancolli's "Physics: Principles with applications", even though I'm not 100% happy with it). Read back and forth between the two, so that you more fully understand the concepts with the math (try to balance these -- too often early students of physics think it's "just" another math course, while I think it's really more beautiful than that).
Furthermore, make use of some simulations (the University of Colorado "Phet" site has many simulations specifically designed to go with the Bloomfield text, which they also use), design your own experiments and make measurements (there's fun books out there on this kind of thing), and even try to build some stuff (motors, bridges, design mobiles etc.)