What Are the Best Math Books for a Gifted 10-Year-Old?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
ykeyani
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm looking for a good math book for a 10 year old.
He's actually very gifted, as he's able to pick up things like factors and equalities pretty fast. The thing is I'm not a math teacher and I think he needs to go over basic geometry and arithmetic before moving on to algebra, basically there's holes in his knowledge. I've looked at books for his age range and they just teach method and a few that might be better are only available in the U.S. which is a problem living in England and all.

I would be grateful for any recommendations.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just give him a high school algebra or geometry book and have him write down what he doesn't understand and then teach him where to find the answers? I always wondered what would have happened if somebody had done that for me.
 
ykeyani said:
Hi, I'm looking for a good math book for a 10 year old.
He's actually very gifted, as he's able to pick up things like factors and equalities pretty fast. The thing is I'm not a math teacher and I think he needs to go over basic geometry and arithmetic before moving on to algebra, basically there's holes in his knowledge. I've looked at books for his age range and they just teach method and a few that might be better are only available in the U.S. which is a problem living in England and all.

I would be grateful for any recommendations.
I think even England has an amazon.com

You can find numerous textbooks with which to challenge your 10-YO. There are al sorts of "... for Dummies" books and more traditional texts available:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=n:266239,k:arithmetic+books+pre-algebra&tag=