What Are the Best Online Resources for a First-Year Quantum Mechanics Student?

In summary, an incoming undergraduate freshman is looking for good online resources to prepare for their first year of quantum mechanics. They have a strong background in classical mechanics and basic quantum mechanics, as well as math courses such as linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations. They are planning to take QM in the upcoming fall semester and are interested in learning more over the summer. Some suggested resources include a tutorial session and links to online lectures and articles.
Domnu
Hi, I'm an incoming undergraduate freshman. Does anybody know of any good online quantum mechanics resources which generally cover the first year of quantum mechanics at an undergraduate level? My knowledge of physics is as follows:

- Extensive classical mechanics (including some Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalism)
- E/M (at the level of Physics C... so that would include Maxwell's equations, etc.)
- Very basic quantum mechanics (construction of Schroedinger's Equation, bra-ket notation, solutions to the infinite and finite square well potentials, basic operators... momentum [not angular, just linear], kinetic energy, potential energy)

My knowledge of math is as follows:

- Basic Linear algebra (at the level of a first year undergraduate course)
- Single and Multivariable calculus (at the level of a first year undergraduate course)
- Differential equations (at the level of a first year undergraduate course)

I'm taking QM this upcoming Fall, so I was just wondering what I should be expecting... and I don't really want to buy a book yet, because I was just planning to use the book my university wishes us to buy (which they haven't released yet...). If I could learn a lot of QM over the summer, it would really help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there, congratulations on starting your undergraduate journey in physics! Quantum mechanics is a fascinating and challenging subject, but with your strong background in classical mechanics and mathematics, I have no doubt that you will excel in it.

As for online resources, I highly recommend checking out MIT's OpenCourseWare (OCW) for their introductory quantum mechanics course (https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/). This course covers the first year of quantum mechanics at an undergraduate level and includes lecture videos, problem sets, and exams. It is also taught by Professor Allan Adams, who is known for his engaging and clear teaching style.

In addition, the University of Colorado Boulder has a fantastic series of interactive simulations that can help you visualize and understand quantum mechanical concepts (https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/physics/quantum-mechanics). These simulations are free to use and cover topics such as wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and quantum tunneling.

Lastly, I would recommend checking out the "Quantum Mechanics for Everyone" series by Professor David Tong from the University of Cambridge (https://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html). This series is aimed at a general audience, but it covers the basics of quantum mechanics in a very intuitive and accessible way.

I hope these resources will be helpful to you in preparing for your QM course this fall. Good luck and have fun exploring the quantum world!

Related to What Are the Best Online Resources for a First-Year Quantum Mechanics Student?

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of these particles and their interactions with each other.

Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic level. It has also led to many technological advancements, such as the development of transistors, lasers, and computer chips.

What are some common applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many applications in various fields, including chemistry, electronics, and materials science. It is also used in technologies such as MRI machines, lasers, and microchips.

What are some reliable resources for learning about quantum mechanics?

Some reliable resources for learning about quantum mechanics include textbooks, online courses, and lectures from reputable universities. Additionally, scientific journals and publications can also provide valuable information on the latest advancements and research in the field.

Can anyone understand quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics can be a complex and abstract subject, but with dedication and effort, anyone can gain a basic understanding of its principles. However, a full understanding of the subject requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics.