What Are the Best Readable General Chemistry Textbooks for High School Students?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spirochete
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry Text
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Spirochete
Messages
125
Reaction score
0
I prematurely sold my general chemistry textbook, now I need a new one. I'm especially interested in acid base chemistry and something that will help me understand how electrodes work.

Can anyone recommend a readable general chem textbook? My last book was "General Chemistry: The Essential Concepts" by Chang and I found it difficult to read. At the same time I don't want something too dumbed down either.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Something by Mortimer; also something by Petrucci;

Also, check almost any analytical chemistry book, although you might want to check the contents including the actual chapter pages to see if it has the topics you want, sufficiently covered; my guess is that electrochemistry would be well covered in such a book. Maybe a Skoog & West book if you find a used one?
 
If you don't mind a high/senior school level textbook, I find 'Chemistry in Context' by Hill and Holman a great text to read. The concepts are explained clearly, and it CAN go into some advanced chemistry.

I thought Chang was OK, although it is not 'brilliant' or 'marvelous'.
 
I forgot to say I also wouldn't mind a book with lots of examples relating inorganic chemistry to biological systems
 
Invictious said:
If you don't mind a high/senior school level textbook, I find 'Chemistry in Context' by Hill and Holman a great text to read. The concepts are explained clearly, and it CAN go into some advanced chemistry.

I thought Chang was OK, although it is not 'brilliant' or 'marvelous'.

Yes "Chemistry Context" is very informative, i suggest that you have a look at it.
 
where could one find chemsitry in context, local libraies, college libaries, ect...? (i'm a high school student, not to many resources available)