What Are the Best Resources for High School Physics Curricula and Textbooks?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Gamma
Messages
355
Reaction score
11
Hi every one,

Happy to be back. I took a long break from PF. Proud to tell you that I have a new baby girl now.

Being a stay at home mom, I have decided to volunteer in our school system. I have already set up a meeting with the school officials regarding this. Probably I will work with high school kids.

Can anyone point to some sources where I can find Highschool physics curriculum. Since I was educated overseas, (I attended graduate school in USA), I am not very familier with Highschool physics contend. Also, can you please let me know the titles of the most commenly used physics textbooks in schools.

Thanks so much.


Gamma.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Gamma said:
Hi every one,
Happy to be back. I took a long break from PF. Proud to tell you that I have a new baby girl now.
Being a stay at home mom, I have decided to volunteer in our school system. I have already set up a meeting with the school officials regarding this. Probably I will work with high school kids.
Can anyone point to some sources where I can find Highschool physics curriculum. Since I was educated overseas, (I attended graduate school in USA), I am not very familier with Highschool physics contend. Also, can you please let me know the titles of the most commenly used physics textbooks in schools.
Thanks so much.
Gamma.
At my high school (we follow the American system), we took a very-near-AP-level physics curriculum...

Pretty much take the AP Physics B syllabus (available for viewing at collegeboard.com), get rid of the rotational stuff, limit electrostatics to point charges, narrow fluid mechanics down to the basics (Using no more than P = Po + pgh), focus only on simple thermodynamics and ignore optics and waves, but touch the stuff on Planck's constant and E = nhf very lightly; then you have our high school college-preparatory physics course.

We used the textbook Physics: Principles and Problems by Paul W. Zitzewitz... (It's pretty light with the math-- most of the stuff is Algebra and Geometry level, with the exception being the stuff on vectors and forces)

Hope this was of atleast some help to give you a general idea.
 
Physics curriculum

I am talking about high schools in USA. What are some commonly used books? Any good sites that might be helpful.

Thanks

Gamma.
 
Well, see the book used at my high school for physics is probably common, but I would not suggest it. It is far to elementary and could be used in 6th grade easily.

I would say not to invest into "conceptual" physics textbooks such as "Conceptual Physics (Hewitt / Addison Wesley)" (what I have at my high school)

"Physics (Giancoli / Prentice Hall)" seems to be a far better choice.It all depends on what level of physics you want people to learn though I guess.