What Are the Best Resources for Learning Homology Theory?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Introduction Theory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
3,920
Reaction score
48
I would like to gain an understanding of the basics of Homology theory.

Can MHB members please give some guidance as to how to approach this endeavour.

What do MHB members suggest are good texts or good online resources?

Peter
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I would like to gain an understanding of the basics of Homology theory.

Can MHB members please give some guidance as to how to approach this endeavour.

What do MHB members suggest are good texts or good online resources?

Peter

The problem I had with learning algebraic topology is that so many books are hand-wavy. I understand they do that because they want to try to motivate but it seems most of these authors forget that the people learning the subject need to see it done formally too and cannot just wave their hands as simply as the authors do.

A pretty formal book on homology is by Vick. I used it for chapter one and I was pretty satisfied with it. You can read chapter one from that book. But it is sometimes a little concise.

You can also read the last chapter from "Introduction to Topological Manifolds". Lee motivates and carefully does his arguments.

Never use Hatcher. That book is awful.
 
ThePerfectHacker said:
The problem I had with learning algebraic topology is that so many books are hand-wavy. I understand they do that because they want to try to motivate but it seems most of these authors forget that the people learning the subject need to see it done formally too and cannot just wave their hands as simply as the authors do.

A pretty formal book on homology is by Vick. I used it for chapter one and I was pretty satisfied with it. You can read chapter one from that book. But it is sometimes a little concise.

You can also read the last chapter from "Introduction to Topological Manifolds". Lee motivates and carefully does his arguments.

Never use Hatcher. That book is awful.

Thanks so much for your advice ... Most helpful

Peter