What Are the Best Resources for Understanding Different Types of Theories?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Avatrin
Messages
242
Reaction score
6
Hi

I recently skimmed through a book called the Structure of Theory. It's a book about what kinds of theories exist.

I would like to learn more about this. What books and websites can you guys recommend?

I would prefer a resource with specific examples of what kinds of theories exist in various fields (my background is mathematics, business and physics, but primarily mathematics).

I would like to learn about their assumptions, but also the logic and mathematics of those theories. Of course, I am not asking for a deep understanding of every scientific field.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Philosophy books on epistemology?
Maybe Feynman's "The Character of Physical Law" (MIT Press)
... it depends on your interest. Do you want a list with a taxonomy?
 
Isn't epistemology about what is knowable? That is not what I am asking for. I'll check out the Feynman book.

I have encountered several different ways of examining and making predictions about physical systems. Sometimes, for instance, in statistical physics you examine how one particle in a gas will behave and assume all particles will, statistically, behave similarly and you assume this can be approximated by a continuous function although you have only finitely many particles.

I assume something similar can be done in social science with people and maybe Earth in geology.

If there is a list with a taxonomy, I would love to see it.
 
Avatrin said:
I recently skimmed through a book called the Structure of Theory.
Author?
 
jtbell said:
Author?
Ernest Nagel

I should add that I am not entirely sure if this book is what I am looking for (after all, I barely skimmed through it).