What Are the Best Subjects for a Career in Power Plants?

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a career in the shipping industry or a power plant. However, their university has required them to choose three final year subjects, and they have selected a thermo dynamics project. They are unsure if this will be beneficial for their desired career path and are considering choosing thermo dynamics or process imprudent techniques as their third option. They are also concerned about the competitiveness of these industries and how they can stand out as a job candidate. They are seeking advice on whether having a degree is enough or if additional training is necessary.
pain90
hi
I want to work in a shipping industry or a power plant for my career.
however the university I go to have made us choose 3 options for our final year subjects.
I have chosen a thermo dynamics final year project.
but I want to know would be better to get into this type of career?
I have chosen
  • fluid and solids handling
  • materials
but should I choose for the 3rd option, thermo dynamics or process imprudent techniques?

I understand every one wants these kind of jobs and that they are hard to get into. but how can I have the advantage.

or won't employers seem to care, as long as you have the degree? I live in UK.
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
because they have to train you to become an engineer even with you degree. any help please

1. What are the most common subjects studied for power plant design?

The most common subjects studied for power plant design are thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, electrical engineering, and environmental science. These subjects are essential for understanding the processes and systems involved in generating electricity and ensuring the efficient and safe operation of power plants.

2. What is the role of mechanical engineering in designing a power plant?

Mechanical engineering plays a critical role in designing a power plant as it involves the design, analysis, and maintenance of the mechanical components such as turbines, boilers, and pumps. These components are crucial for converting thermal energy into mechanical energy, which is then converted into electrical energy.

3. How does environmental science play a role in power plant design?

Environmental science plays a significant role in power plant design as it involves the study of the impact of power plants on the environment. This includes understanding and mitigating the emissions of pollutants, managing waste disposal, and ensuring the sustainability of natural resources used in the power generation process.

4. What is the importance of electrical engineering in power plant design?

Electrical engineering is crucial in power plant design as it involves the design, analysis, and maintenance of the electrical systems and equipment used in power generation. This includes generators, transformers, and transmission lines, which are essential for converting mechanical energy into electrical energy and distributing it to consumers.

5. How do subjects like economics and project management relate to power plant design?

Subjects like economics and project management are crucial for power plant design as they involve the cost analysis, budgeting, and scheduling of power plant projects. These subjects help ensure that power plants are designed and built efficiently and within budget, ultimately contributing to the overall success and sustainability of the power plant.