1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the Best U.S. Physics of Gravity Graduate Schools?

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    Hello friends,
    I am graduating in a few months with a bachelor of physics and willing to apply for graduate schools. I am very doubted about which grad school I should apply. I just know what I don't like,but how can I know what I actually like?
    My main questions are the following:
    What is the best US Ph.D. school in physics of gravity (or gravitation)?
    How about Quantum Gravity? What's the difference between gravitation and QG?
    What is the best US grad school if I want to understand, space and time, gravity, and continue what Einstein was doing?
    I have found a good university in Canada, but I want one in US.
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

You're going to have to be more specific. Gravitation is a very large subject, covering as I'm sure you know both classical and quantum regimes of research. Any university strong in one is not necessarily strong in the other.

Also, what Einstein was doing was done -- 100 years ago. The programme of finding a consistent gravitational theory still exists in some regard, but by and large it seems Einstein got it right and that's that. There are some people talking about Brans-Dicke and TeVeS, but I wouldn't advise trying to go into this as your sole research focus.

Of course you can still study Einstein's theory, from either a numerical or mathematical perspective. Also as you know there are efforts to quantize the theory, either through a canonical approach (think LQG), or strings. Furthermore, even apart from developing a full theory of quantum gravity, there is lots of work being done without such a full theory (think holography and quantum information relating to black holes, or quantum cosmology).

So what are you interested in??

4. Oct 16, 2012 #3

king vitamin

Gold Member

Here's the US News rankings for GR/Cosmoogy:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ols/top-science-schools/astrophysics-rankings

if you really put stock in that. Use the drop box to see the high energy physics rankings. In any case, you should really just apply to schools at your level that have a several faculty members doing research that you think might appeal to you so you don't have to choose a specific subject right away.

5. Nov 13, 2012 #4
    Thank you for your replies. I think I'm highly interested in Quantum Gravity. See, I really enjoy understanding and discovering fundamentals of physics.
    Here is something else which might sound funny to you. I have a really difficult time choosing what to do for my grad school since I have to do that my whole life. For example, machine learning with physical and mathematical approach also interests me. If you are a Ph.D., etc, how did you choose your path in academic life?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook