What Are the Career Options for Combining Engineering and a Juris Doctorate?

  • Topic: Engineering 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Engineering
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
Winzer
Messages
597
Reaction score
0
What would be some career options?
Some I can think of would be intellectual property, patents, on counseling to high
end technology firms.
How marketable would this combination be?

I have also seen the Juris Doctorate + MBA.
This has to be big money.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A competent lawyer with an engineering/technical background would find many opportunities.
 
Winzer said:
What would be some career options?
Some I can think of would be intellectual property, patents, on counseling to high
end technology firms.
How marketable would this combination be?

I have also seen the Juris Doctorate + MBA.
This has to be big money.

Work for the army corp of engineers. The wouldn't pay the greatest, but that is the best job security you can find. I was told by one of there water resource engineers they are the most sued body in the United States.
 
Thanks for the advice.
I would like to look into consulting high tech groups.
The Juris Docterate is 3yrs. right?

I was also wondering about graduate school. Does starting salary increase with rating of graduate school(assuming I do well) ?
 
It depends on how much the law firm wants you. In today's climate, it is kind of hard to get a job working in big law. However, if you do go to one of the top schools (Northwestern, NYU, U Virginia, Duke, Gerogetown, etc...) you will have a better chance at getting a job working in Big law.

You want to do, MBA, M.S. in engineering, and J.D.? Or engineering over MBA? It might take you a few more years to obtain all three degrees, possibly 4 full years, but it is possible. What type of area in law are you going for? Patent law, criminal, international? If it is patent law then you would need to pass the IP law exam and commit your legal studies in that area after you completed the core basis. Your engineering degree would go well with it though.

Getting the Juris Doctorate alone is about 3 years. I have a friend who obtained his in 2 years, but 3 years is the usual time frame, 4 years for part-time students.

Work for the army corp of engineers.

He is about the money, hence his first post. In any case, you should probably do a fellowship after you pass the bar and the IP exam, it will only increase chances of getting a great job.