g.lemaitre said:
I'm trying to figure out what the odds of 5 sigma confidence rating has of being wrong. According to one website it is
0.000028% which is 1 in 35,000 but I've seen so many divergent answers as to what the odds of 5 sigma being wrong are that I want to be sure. I've seen people say it is as high as 1 in 3 million or as low as 1 in 700
Hey g.lemaitre and welcome to the forums.
For this problem, I'm assuming you have a standard normal and wish to figure out the probability of being greater than 5 standard deviations outside of the mean.
If you are using different distributions, different assumptions, or you have a specific problem then please inform the rest of the readers here so that we can give you better advice.
Using R, I got the answer to be 2 * 2.866515718791939118515e-07 = 5.733031437583878237117e-07 = 0.000000573303.. which is really small. Taking the inverse of this gives us: 1744277.89 which equates roughly to a 1 in 1744278 chance or say a 1 in 1.7 million chance.
If you only considered one tail it would be just under a 1 in 3.5 million chance.
The thing is though that this is misleading if you don't provide more information, and this assumes that the distribution relating to what you are measuring has a Gaussian distribution. If it doesn't, or if you need to use another model, then this assumption will be wrong.
To get the calculation in R I used pnorm(-5.0,0,1) and multiplied that by 2 to get final probability (because of symmetry).