What are the coordinates of the upper cylinder? (and some algebra)

In summary: Calculus) forum might not be the best place for this question. You might be better off posting in a physics forum.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
1) Get the coordinates of both the lower and upper cylinders.

2) Combine the two given equations to get the given result.
Relevant Equations
1) ##( x_1 + 2R \sin \theta, 3R - 2(R-\cos \theta))##

2) Combine

$$\frac 1 2 M R^2 \Big( 3 \dot \theta_1^2 + 2 \dot \theta_1 \dot \theta(1 - 2 \cos \theta) + 6 \dot \theta^2 \Big) + 2MR(1 + \cos \theta)g = 4MRg \ \ \ \ (1)$$

$$MR^2 \Big(3 \dot \theta_1 + \dot \theta ( 1 - 2 \cos \theta) \Big)=0 \ \ \ \ (2)$$

To get

$$\dot \theta^2 \Big( 18 - (1 - 2 \cos \theta)^2 \Big) = \frac 12 R (1 -\cos \theta) g$$
I was solving a problem and got stuck in two aspects:

1) Geometric issue.

FullSizeRender (50).jpg

Alright, I understand that the coordinates of the lower cylinder are

$$( -R \theta_1, R)$$

The coordinates of the upper cylinder are:

$$( x_1 + 2R \sin \theta, 3R - 2(R-\cos \theta))$$

I get that the ##x## coordinate of the upper cylinder is ##x_2 = x_1 + 2R \sin \theta##

But I do not understand why ##y_2 = 3R - 2(R-\cos \theta)##.

2) Algebraic issue

I have the following two equations:

$$\frac 1 2 M R^2 \Big( 3 \dot \theta_1^2 + 2 \dot \theta_1 \dot \theta(1 - 2 \cos \theta) + 6 \dot \theta^2 \Big) + 2MR(1 + \cos \theta)g = 4MRg \ \ \ \ (1)$$

$$MR^2 \Big(3 \dot \theta_1 + \dot \theta ( 1 - 2 \cos \theta) \Big)=0 \ \ \ \ (2)$$

There has to be a way to combine them such that we eliminate ##\theta_1## to get:

$$\dot \theta^2 \Big( 18 - (1 - 2 \cos \theta)^2 \Big) = \frac 12 R (1 -\cos \theta) g$$

But I do not see it. What I have done is multiply the second equation by ##-\frac{\dot \theta_1}{2}## and then add both up. Like that I just get rid of the first terms of both equations.

Could you please give me some hints on 1) and 2) issues?

Thanks.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
JD_PM said:
Homework Statement:: 1) Get the coordinates of both the lower and upper cylinders.

2) Combine the two given equations to get the given result.
Relevant Equations:: 1) ##( x_1 + 2R \sin \theta, 3R - 2(R-\cos \theta))##

2) Combine

To get

I was solving a problem and got stuck in two aspects:

1) Geometric issue.

View attachment 256891

Alright, I understand that the coordinates of the lower cylinder are

$$( -R \theta_1, R)$$

The coordinates of the upper cylinder are:

$$( x_1 + 2R \sin \theta, 3R - 2(R-\cos \theta))$$

I get that the ##x## coordinate of the upper cylinder is ##x_2 = x_1 + 2R \sin \theta##

But I do not understand why ##y_2 = 3R - 2(R-\cos \theta)##.

2) Algebraic issue

I have the following two equations:

There has to be a way to combine them such that we eliminate ##\theta_1## to get:

But I do not see it. What I have done is multiply the second equation by ##-\frac{\dot \theta_1}{2}## and then add both up. Like that I just get rid of the first terms of both equations.

Could you please give me some hints on 1) and 2) issues?

Thanks.
You really need to give more details and give the context for this problem.

It looks like it might be posted in the wrong forum. You have derivatives (Calculus) here, and perhaps kinematics relevant to a physics course.

As far as I can tell:
  1. You have two cylinders (each of radius, R) in contact.
  2. When you refer to the coordinates of a cylinder, you mean the coordinates of the center (axis).
  3. θ is the angle that the line joining the centers makes with the vertical (measured clockwise?). At time, t=0, θ=0.
  4. θ1 is amount of rotation (counter-clockwise) made by the lower cylinder.
  5. θ2 is amount of rotation (clockwise) made by the upper cylinder.
Does the lower cylinder slip with respect to the horizontal surface and/or the upper cylinder?

What are A' and A'' ?

Likes JD_PM
SammyS said:
You really need to give more details and give the context for this problem.

Alright, the whole problem is:

Screenshot (1026).png

Screenshot (1027).png
SammyS said:
It looks like it might be posted in the wrong forum. You have derivatives (Calculus) here, and perhaps kinematics relevant to a physics course.

Is Calculus Forum the best option? I will report the question.

SammyS said:
Does the lower cylinder slip with respect to the horizontal surface and/or the upper cylinder?

Both cylinders roll without slipping.
SammyS said:
What are A' and A'' ?

##A## is the point of contact between the cylinders at ##t=0##. This point of contact moves to ##A'## on the lower cylinder and to ##A''## on the upper cylinder at ##t>0##.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Your Geometrical issue has typing mistake. Instead of ##3R-2(R-cos\theta)##, it should be ##3R-2R(1-cos\theta)## as can be seen from geometry as well as dimensions.

For Algebraic issue:

Try using Eq 2 to substitute ##\theta_1## in Eq (1)

Likes DEvens and JD_PM
JD_PM said:
Is Calculus Forum the best option? I will report the question.
This (Advanced Physics Homework Help) is where I would have suggested to post this thread. (Thank you Mentor.)

Let me tackle the algebraic issue first.

Abhishek11235 said:
For Algebraic issue:

Try using Eq 2 to substitute ##\theta_1## in Eq (1)

Alright you propose using substitution method.

By doing so I get

$$\dot \theta^2 \Big( 6 + (1 - 2 \cos \theta)^2 \Big) = \frac 4 R g(1- \cos\theta)$$

As we already know what we are looking for, I thought of multiplying both sides by ##3## to get:

$$\dot \theta^2 \Big( 18 + 3 (1 - 2 \cos \theta)^2 \Big) = \frac{12}{R} g(1- \cos\theta)$$

But the above equation is not the same that

$$\dot \theta^2 \Big( 18 - (1 - 2 \cos \theta)^2 \Big) = \frac{12}{R} (1 -\cos \theta) g$$

Because

$$3 (1 - 2 \cos \theta)^2 \neq - (1 - 2 \cos \theta)^2$$

Mmm what am I missing?

Try again. I got the result.

Likes JD_PM
Let me show what method I am using to determine the coordinates of the lower and upper cylinder.

The ##(x,y)## coordinates are taken as follows (##x## horizontal and ##y## vertical):

Screenshot (1031).png

Coordinates for the lower cylinder

x coordinate
Screenshot (1030).png

By straightforward geometry we get:

$$\sin \theta_1 = -\frac{x_1}{R}$$

Applying the small angle approximation ##\sin \theta_1 \simeq \theta_1## and solving for ##x_1## we get the desired result:

$$x_1 = -R \theta_1$$

y coordinate

Screenshot (1032).png

The blue line is the radius ##R##. We get the desired result:

$$y_1 = R$$Coordinates for the upper cylinder

x coordinate

Screenshot (1034).png

OK. The method is to obtain an equation for the orange, blue and green pieces and then add them up to obtain an equation for the thin red line.

- Orange slab

We already know an equation for it; ##x_1 = -R \theta_1##

- Blue and green slabs.

Both have the same mathematical expression: ##\sin \theta = \frac{x'}{R} \rightarrow x' = R \sin \theta##

Thus the mathematical expression for both is ##2 R \sin \theta##

Adding the mathematical expressions of the orange, blue and green slabs lead to the desired result (as expected):

$$x_2 = x_1 + 2 R \sin \theta$$

(Note: in the provided solution the small angle approximation is not applied to ##\theta## but it is applied to ##\theta_1##; why?).y coordinate (the one I am stuck in)

Screenshot (1035).png

I wanted to use the latter method to get the desired result

$$y_2 = 3R-2R(1-cos\theta)$$

But it seems that it is not a good idea. For this method to work we would need the blue line not to cross the green slab. How can I proceed then? Should I switch method?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Abhishek11235 said:

I will try again

Abhishek11235 said:

Abhishek11235 thank you! The algebraic issue has been solved.

Only the geometric one is still unsolved.

JD_PM said:
Let me show what method I am using to determine the coordinates of the lower and upper cylinder.

The ##(x,y)## coordinates are taken as follows (##x## horizontal and ##y## vertical):

View attachment 256959

Coordinates for the lower cylinder

x coordinateView attachment 256958

By straightforward geometry we get:

$$\sin \theta_1 = -\frac{x_1}{R}$$

Applying the small angle approximation ##\sin \theta_1 \simeq \theta_1## and solving for ##x_1## we get the desired result:

$$x_1 = -R \theta_1$$

y coordinate

View attachment 256960

The blue line is the radius ##R##. We get the desired result:

$$y_1 = R$$

Coordinates for the upper cylinder

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
There is no need to use the small angle approximation.

If the lower cylinder rotates through angle θ1, then any point on the circumference moves a distance ##R \cdot \theta_1## along the circumference of the cylinder. The cylinder moves without slipping on the horizontal surface. Therefore, the cylinder moves a distance, ##R \cdot \theta_1## in the negative ##x## direction.

Last edited:
JD_PM said:
Abhishek11235 thank you! The algebraic issue has been solved.

Only the geometric one is still unsolved.
As said, the given formula is wrong. The picture will be really helpful to you. Alternatively (which is how I actually got y-coordinate) , we have R distance from ground to centre of 1st sphere. Then there is 2Rcos##\theta## so that total distance is R+2Rcos##\theta##

Attachments

• IMG_20200213_200727.jpg
    IMG_20200213_200727.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Informative
Likes JD_PM and SammyS
Your picture was really helpful, thanks.

What are the coordinates of the upper cylinder?

The coordinates of the upper cylinder can vary depending on the specific context of the problem, but in general, the coordinates can be represented as (x, y, z) where x and y are the coordinates of the center of the circle at the top of the cylinder and z is the height of the cylinder.

What is the upper cylinder in algebraic terms?

The upper cylinder can be represented algebraically as a set of points that lie on the surface of a cylinder with a given radius and height. This can be expressed as the equation (x-x0)2 + (y-y0)2 = r2, where (x0, y0) is the center of the circle and r is the radius of the cylinder.

How do I find the coordinates of the center of the circle at the top of the cylinder?

To find the coordinates of the center of the circle at the top of the cylinder, you can use the formula (x0, y0) = (h, k), where h and k are the coordinates of the center of the circle. This can be found by solving the system of equations that represent the intersection of the cylinder and the plane that contains the circle.

What is the relationship between the coordinates of the upper cylinder and the lower cylinder?

The coordinates of the upper and lower cylinders are related by the height of the cylinder. The center of the circle at the top of the cylinder will have the same x and y coordinates, but the z coordinate will be different for the upper and lower cylinder. The z coordinate for the upper cylinder will be greater than the z coordinate for the lower cylinder, as the height of the cylinder increases as you move from the base to the top.

Can the coordinates of the upper cylinder be negative?

Yes, the coordinates of the upper cylinder can be negative. This can occur if the cylinder is located in a quadrant of the coordinate plane where both the x and y coordinates are negative, or if the height of the cylinder is negative.