1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the different number of matrices available for the following

1. Aug 15, 2012 #1
    Greetings,

I have a matrix of order 5 x 5

I would like to replace the

2 elements in column 1 with 0's
    1 elements in column 2 with 0's
    4 elements in column 3 with 0's
    3 elements in column 4 with 0's
    2 elements in column 5 with 0's

What are the different number of matrices available if I do replace.

Hoe can this be solved for a general case if matrix is of m x n

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Depends on the original matrix. If the original matrix were

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

then there would only be one matrix available, no matter what the replacements are.

So, you must keep track of the number of zeroes already in the matrix. For example, you can say that column i has [itex]K_i[/itex] zeroes.
    Now, before I give any hints, what are your thoughts about the problem?? What did you attempt?

4. Aug 15, 2012 #3
    Lets us assume that there are no 0's in the matrix and all the elements of the matrix are unique i.e there are no repetitive elements in the matrix. So the question is like replacing 2 elements in column 1 by 0's.

I tired to treat each column separately as a line with 5 places and check the number of ways 0's could be arranged.

like the
    numbers of ways for arranging 2 0's be arranged in 5 places for column 1 and so on for column 2 till column 5.

then multiplied the possibilities of all the columns.

Is this correct..???

5. Aug 15, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sounds right.

6. Aug 16, 2012 #5
    Can you just solve the above problem and let me know the steps which you have followed so that I can compare my answer with yours

7. Aug 16, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, we don't do that here. You need to solve the problem yourself. We will give hints or check the answer. We don't give out answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook