What are the dimensions of kWh?

In summary, the dimensions of kilo Watt hours are ML2T-2. This is because a watt is equal to a Newton-meter per second, which has the dimensions F D / T, and hours is a unit of time, so it is represented as T. Therefore, the dimensions of kWh ultimately equal the dimensions of energy, ML2T-2. It is worth noting that kWh has mixed time units, so simplifying or converting to base units may not be useful in this context. However, if that is what you are looking for, the dimensions can be simplified to ML2T-2.
nineteen
What are the dimensions of kilo Watt hours? Is is M L2T-2?? If yes, why is that? If no, please teach me about what the right dimensions are and please be kind enough to provide a good explanation. Thank you in advance.

P.S. I am wondering why it doesn't have the dimensions ML2T-3...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a watt is a Newton-meter per second, so that's F D / T. And then hours is time, so it's F D T / T

(with conversion factors)

• Informative
Likes Bystander and nineteen
russ_watters said:
Well, a watt is a Newton-meter per second, so that's F D / T. And then hours is time, so it's F D T / T

(with conversion factors)

Awesome. Thank you very much. I also figured something like this, as kWh is a unit of energy, it will ultimately equal the dimensions of energy, so the dimensions will be ML2T-2

Likes Dale
nineteen said:
Awesome. Thank you very much. I also figured something like this, as kWh is a unit of energy, it will ultimately equal the dimensions of energy, so the dimensions will be ML2T-2
Yes, it's just that the point of a kwh is that it has mixed time units, so I'm not sure if in this context it is useful to simplify or convert to base units (via f=ma). But sure, if that's what you are looking for...

1. What is a kWh?

A kWh (kilowatt-hour) is a unit of energy commonly used to measure electricity consumption. It is equal to the amount of energy used by a 1,000 watt appliance in one hour.

2. How is a kWh calculated?

To calculate kWh, you multiply the power consumption in kilowatts (kW) by the time in hours (h). For example, if an appliance uses 2 kW of power for 3 hours, the calculation would be 2 kW x 3 h = 6 kWh.

3. What are the dimensions of a kWh?

A kWh is a unit of energy, not a physical object with dimensions. However, it can be converted into other units of energy, such as joules or BTUs, which do have physical dimensions.

4. How is a kWh different from a kW?

A kWh is a unit of energy, while a kW (kilowatt) is a unit of power. Power is the rate at which energy is used, while energy is the total amount of work or heat produced. Think of it like a car - power is how fast it can go, while energy is how far it can travel.

5. Why is kWh used to measure electricity?

Electricity is typically measured in kWh because it is a more practical unit for measuring the amount of energy used in a given period of time. It allows for more accurate billing and monitoring of electricity usage compared to other units, such as joules or BTUs.