What Are the Effects of Diffusing Boundaries on Random Walkers in 1D Lattices?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter NoobixCube
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    1d Random
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
NoobixCube
Messages
154
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I was wondering whether there was any work done on a random walker on a 1D lattice with diffusing boundaries?

Any links or suggestions would be great!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of net work done, the answer would be based on the amount of displacement from the origin over an interval of time. If the range is bounded, then the amount of net work done would approach zero as time approaches infinity.

EDIT: While I stand by what I said; there will be a finite non-zero amount of net work done with an absorbing boundary for a unit particle, equal to the displacement of the particle from the origin to the boundary. For a reflecting boundary the average net amount work done over time is zero.
 
Last edited: