What Are the Everyday Applications of the Leidenfrost Effect in Physics?

  • Topic: Other 
  • Thread starter Thread starter andresB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Phenomena Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
andresB
Messages
627
Reaction score
375
Once upon a time a young me noticed that when I spinkled some water on the hot surface of an stove plate the droplets refused to boil and instead they started to move around, but only if the plate was hot enough. Years and years later I was shocked to find that it is actually a well stablished and studied effect, the Leidenfrost effect.

I'm looking for books with a collection of explanaitions for "everyday" physical effects like the aforementioned Leidenfrost effect. Though I'm not looking for overly simplified explanation, I'm looking for books that assume knowledge in basic undergraduate physics. I wonder if such books exist.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
andresB said:
Once upon a time a young me noticed that when I spinkled some water on the hot surface of an stove plate the droplets refused to boil and instead they started to move around, but only if the plate was hot enough. Years and years later I was shocked to find that it is actually a well stablished and studied effect, the Leidenfrost effect.

I'm looking for books with a collection of explanaitions for "everyday" physical effects like the aforementioned Leidenfrost effect. Though I'm not looking for overly simplified explanation, I'm looking for books that assume knowledge in basic undergraduate physics. I wonder if such books exist.

"Flying Circus of Physics" by Jearl Walker:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471762733/?tag=pfamazon01-20
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471762733/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This was as set of photocopied pages by some crazy grad student (at U of Maryland if memory serves ) when I was studying for my quals. There have been many editions with and without answers during the intervening 40 years. Highly recommended.

I see I have been pre-empted !
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier