What are the fine particles in the filtrate after recrystallization?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jacksie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry Lab
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
jacksie
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
After performing crystallization and melting point determination I determined that my unknown solid was phthalic acid, however I am left with the question:
At the end of the filtration of the purified solid, it was observed that a small quantity of fine colourless particles was contained in the filtrate that had been collected in a clean filtration flask. (vacuum filtration to separate crystals from solvent).
i) What were these particles?
ii) Explain why these particles formed in the filtrate.
iii) Explain what effect, if any, the formation of these particles might have on the experimental results.


I am thinking that these particles were either crystals that were so small that they passed through the filter, and this would then affect the experimental results as the yeld would be less, or that these are impurities, but if they are I am not sure why they would form in the filtrate.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Filtrate is a saturated solution. Under vacuum it was most likely partially evaporated, and cooled in the process.

--
methods