What are the functions X^m_1 that are eigenfunctions of L^2 and L_x?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Brewer
Messages
203
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The spherical harmonics [tex]Y^m_l[/tex] with l=1 are given by
[tex]Y^{-1}_1 = \sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{x-iy}{r}, Y^0_1 = \sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}\frac{z}{r}, Y^1_1 = -\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{x+iy}{r}[/tex]

and they are functions of [tex]L^2[/tex] and [tex]L_z[/tex] where L is the angular momentum.

i) From these functions find a new set of three functions [tex]X^m_1[/tex] which are now eigenfunctions of [tex]L^2[/tex] and [tex]L_x[/tex].


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not 100% sure about this question. Is it asking me to give the spherical harmonics in terms of [tex]\theta, \phi[/tex]? I think I can do that, but if that's not the question, could someone please explain to me what is being asked of me.

Thanks

Brewer
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Brewer said:

Homework Statement


The spherical harmonics [tex]Y^m_l[/tex] with l=1 are given by
[tex]Y^{-1}_1 = \sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{x-iy}{r}, Y^0_1 = \sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}\frac{z}{r}, Y^1_1 = -\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{x+iy}{r}[/tex]

and they are functions of [tex]L^2[/tex] and [tex]L_z[/tex] where L is the angular momentum.

i) From these functions find a new set of three functions [tex]X^m_1[/tex] which are now eigenfunctions of [tex]L^2[/tex] and [tex]L_x[/tex].


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not 100% sure about this question. Is it asking me to give the spherical harmonics in terms of [tex]\theta, \phi[/tex]? I think I can do that, but if that's not the question, could someone please explain to me what is being asked of me.

Thanks

Brewer

i think it would be better if you wrote your spherical harmonics in spherical coords ..

but in any case
if [itex]X_{lm}[/itex] is an eignefunction of L^2 and Lz then
[tex]\hat{L_{z}} X_{lm} = mX_{lm}[/tex]
and
[tex]\hat{L^2} X_{lm} = l(l+1) X_{lm}[/tex]
and i think Xlm would b acquired by finding a superposition of the three given eigenfunctions.