What Are the Implications of Approaching the Speed of Light for Space Travel?

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution from the speaker's notes about twenty years ago regarding relativistic effects on acceleration and mass. The solution includes equations and substitutions, ultimately leading to a primary relativistic solution for velocity as a function of time. The conversation also raises discussion points about the practicality of building a spacecraft that can reach 99.5% of the speed of light and the appearance of trigonometric functions in the solutions. It is noted that the speed of light cannot be exceeded due to the infinite mass that would result.
starthaus said:
No, it isn't true.

Thanks for your feedback.

Please let me explain a bit more where I'm comming from.

Case 1.
As a ship is moving through space at say 0.9c, but is 'coasting' at steady velocity.
Here it seems clear that to me, that an Earthly observer would see.
t=t'[T]

Now assume the same scenario, but the ship is also under 1G acceleration.
m=m'[T}^3

I'd expect the observed time t to change for me on Earth. But I'm still unclear about what the increasing mass (cubed) does to what I would observe. (I haven't had calculus and D.E. in over 20 years, so please keep it basic. Make it verbal if you can.)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Star Drive said:
Thanks for your feedback.

Please let me explain a bit more where I'm comming from.

Case 1.
As a ship is moving through space at say 0.9c, but is 'coasting' at steady velocity.
Here it seems clear that to me, that an Earthly observer would see.
t=t'[T]

Now assume the same scenario, but the ship is also under 1G acceleration.
m=m'[T}^3

I'd expect the observed time t to change for me on Earth. But I'm still unclear about what the increasing mass (cubed) does to what I would observe. (I haven't had calculus and D.E. in over 20 years, so please keep it basic. Make it verbal if you can.)

Thanks

I can't make it verbal, I have shown you the complete correct solution, you should try to understand it.

I'd expect the observed time t to change for me on Earth.
There's the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_hypothesis" that states that time dilation is independent of acceleration. Relativistic mass has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ich said:
There's the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_hypothesis" that states that time dilation is independent of acceleration. Relativistic mass has nothing to do with it.

Thats some of the best help which I've been offered.

Last edited by a moderator: