What Are the Implications of Domain Wall Problems in L=kρσ Interactions?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DuckAmuck
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Domain Wall
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
DuckAmuck
Messages
238
Reaction score
40
So I have learned that an interaction term in a Lagrangian like: L= kρσ
can result in "domain wall" problems between the fields ρ and σ.

I imagine this means that it can result in particles spontaneously changing mass, spin, or some other property, violating conservation laws. Is that why this is a problem, or is there some other issue?

Is this sort of thing akin to a B-L sphaleron?

Is this in any way related to neutrino oscillation, or theoretical possibility that a muon oscillates into an electron without producing any other decay products?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DuckAmuck said:
So I have learned that an interaction term in a Lagrangian like: L= kρσ
can result in "domain wall" problems between the fields ρ and σ.

I imagine this means that it can result in particles spontaneously changing mass, spin, or some other property, violating conservation laws. Is that why this is a problem, or is there some other issue?

Is this sort of thing akin to a B-L sphaleron?

Is this in any way related to neutrino oscillation, or theoretical possibility that a muon oscillates into an electron without producing any other decay products?

a very good question! or questions. Maybe @fzero has an answer.
I can only give a hint to this problem, because I'm not sure how to solve and if I'm right.

If we have a theory with a M background, then it must be covariant like in the superspace and then the Lagrangian does not contain non dynamical-fields nor Lagrange multipliers.
But I think @fzero is able to explain it much better.