What are the Initial Velocities of Two Cars Colliding at Different Directions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
poohead
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


two cars collide with each other and basically go different directions
m1 starts out going West and m2 starts out going North

I have set sign conventions to have North + and West -
East + and south -

v1 and v2 are unknown but v1' and v2' are know v1'=19.4 m/s (57 N of W)
v2'=11.4 m/s (44 N of W)

masses are m1= 765 kg and m2=1100 kg i know that Pi=Pf
equation for momentum
m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'

cos law, sine law and tan law may be required due to angles

i must figure out v1 and v2, the initial velocities for the cars
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi poohead! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :wink:
 
this is basically where I am stuck, i don't know where to go from here. I drew a diagram labelling the angles and drew triangles so i could use SOH CAH TOA but i don't believe I am getting the right answers cause it seems to be way out of proportion