What are the job opportunities for a MechE at a particle accelerator?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Seth0Mitchell
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
So I'm curious about what kind of jobs a MechE would have at a particle accelerator? I'm planning on Double majoring in Meche And Physics in undergrad, and have hopes of getting Masters in MechE Machine Design and ElecE Power Systems. Any advice on the matter is much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to be sorely disappointed if you limit yourself to "a job working on a particle accelerator."
 
Suggestions:

1.) Take some initiative. Grab a pen and paper and get ready to answer your own questions.

2.) Figure out the names/locations of some of the particle accelerators in the United States.
3.) Go to the websites of the labs that maintain the particle accelerators.
4.) Look for job openings at those websites.
5.) Read the job descriptions attached to those job openings. Make notes about what those job descriptions involve and what they are looking for in employees.
6.) Sit in satisfaction that you have discovered the answers through your own ingenuity.


Bonus hint: I would start with the lab named for the physicist who came up with a rough estimate for the yield of the first atomic bomb by droping pieces of paper as the shock wave passed. I just looked and they have two mechanical engineering positions currently open.
 
fss said:
You are going to be sorely disappointed if you limit yourself to "a job working on a particle accelerator."

Hmm...what do you mean by this. I feel like it encapsulates all of my interests as far as engineering/science goes: RF, magnetism, particle physics, quantum mechanics, machine design. Although, I am pretty green on the matter honestly. I've just always been fascinated with the LHC and particle acceleration in general.

Floid said:
Suggestions:

1.) Take some initiative. Grab a pen and paper and get ready to answer your own questions.

2.) Figure out the names/locations of some of the particle accelerators in the United States.
3.) Go to the websites of the labs that maintain the particle accelerators.
4.) Look for job openings at those websites.
5.) Read the job descriptions attached to those job openings. Make notes about what those job descriptions involve and what they are looking for in employees.
6.) Sit in satisfaction that you have discovered the answers through your own ingenuity.Bonus hint: I would start with the lab named for the physicist who came up with a rough estimate for the yield of the first atomic bomb by droping pieces of paper as the shock wave passed. I just looked and they have two mechanical engineering positions currently open.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I've been doing as of yet. I was just curious as to any other aspects that may or may not be involved.
I noticed that Fermilab is hiring an entry level instrumentation ME, what exactly would that entail, the description was a little vague.

Also, I see a lot of these labs, mostly the European ones, hiring technical engineers. What exactly is a technical engineer. I ask because a lot of them are elctromechanical, and that's really where my interest lies.