What are the lone pair angles in H2O according to VSEPR theory?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alingy1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angles Pair
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
alingy1
Messages
325
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What are the angles between lone pairs in H2O? I know that the bonds are separated by 109.5°. What about the lone pair angles? I googled everything. I found nothing. I cannot directly assume it is 109.5°... I have a basic knowledge of VSEPR.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
I know that the bonds are separated by 109.5°.
Really? I thought it was 104.45 degrees.
In VSEPR, both bonding and lone pairs should be distributed approximately along the corners of a tetrahedron. Lone pairs are a bit more space filling than bonding pairs, so that the angle between the lone pairs is somewhat larger.
 
I will double check my answers before posting.
 
Last edited:
Treedude said:
H2O is bent. 109.5

H2O is bent, but 109.5 is incorrect. Water molecule is not tetrahedral. DrDu already posted a correct value.