What are the mathematical origins of i^i=e^(pi/2)?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter thharrimw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mathematical Roots
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
thharrimw
Messages
114
Reaction score
0

could someone tell me where the i^i=e^(pi/2) came from??
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ha. They're wrong. [itex]i^i[/itex]=0.20787 and [itex]e^{\pi/2}[/itex]=4.81047. They're missing a negative sign. Remember that taking the square root of something is the same thing as raising that something to the 1/2 power. Then [itex]\sqrt{-1} = i = (-1)^{1/2}[/itex]. Also, 1/i=-i. Then
[tex] \begin{align*}<br /> e^{i\pi}+1 &= 0 \\<br /> e^{i\pi} &= -1 \\<br /> \left( e^{i\pi} \right)^{1/2} &= (-1)^{1/2} \\<br /> e^{i\pi/2} &= i \\<br /> \left( e^{i\pi/2} \right)^{1/i} &= i^{1/i} \\<br /> e^{\pi/2} &= i^{-i}<br /> \end{align*}[/tex]
 
I do not like the idea that [tex]i ^{\frac{1}{i}}[/tex] is [tex]i ^{-i}[/tex]. I would of thought it would be [tex]i ^{i^{-1}}[/tex] which are not the same thing as far as I know.
 
It is true that most often they are not the same, however for i they are.

Proof:
[tex] \frac{1}{i}=\frac{i}{i^2}=\frac{i}{-1}=-i[/tex]
 
Oh cool, I didn't know that. That is pretty nice to know. And it makes sense when put like that.