Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the meson 1p, 1d, 1f, states?

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    In atom spectrum, such as for hydrogen, there are states of 1s, 2s, 2p, 3s, 3p, 3d, etc. There are no 1p, 1d or 2d, 2f. Simply because n= n_r + L +1. So the maximum of L is n-1. But when I read articles talk about meson, they list meson states of 1p, 1d, 1f, etc. Such as in the article “Quark model” in the PDG report. What does these states come from? I am sure they use n ^(2s+1)L_j, and not the (n_r L), because they do not say 0s state. So what’s my mistake? Don’t meson has same rule of n= n_r + L +1?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

mings6, The "principle" quantum number n is unique to the Hydrogen atom because of its degeneracy: all the states with the same value of nr + L + 1 have the same energy.

This is not true in general, and so for listing the meson q-qbar states we use the radial quantum number nr instead, along with S, L and JPC.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook