What Are the Orbital Periods of Binary Pulsars?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter teroenza
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Binary Orbital Pulsar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
teroenza
Messages
190
Reaction score
5
Hello,
I am doing a very brief presentation for school on gravitational radiation and wanted to include a figure for the orbital periods of binary pulsars. I can find the rotation rates of individual pulsars on Google but can't find a figure for orbital periods of binaries. This does not have to be exact, even order of magnitudes would work. I thought it would be interesting to say something along the lines of, "imagine these super dense objects, orbiting each other at rates of ~ XXXX."

Thank you
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
teroenza said:
Hello,
I am doing a very brief presentation for school on gravitational radiation and wanted to include a figure for the orbital periods of binary pulsars. I can find the rotation rates of individual pulsars on Google but can't find a figure for orbital periods of binaries. This does not have to be exact, even order of magnitudes would work. I thought it would be interesting to say something along the lines of, "imagine these super dense objects, orbiting each other at rates of ~ XXXX."

Thank you

From hours to day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSR_B1913+16