What Are the Oxidation Products of Butan-2-ol?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
memsces
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Oxidation of secondary alcohols

I need help on the oxidation of alcohols.

I want to know if butan-2-ol was partially oxidised would it result in butanone.

Also what does the full oxidation of butan-2-ol result in? (I think it is butanoic acid but I am not sure. )
 
Physics news on Phys.org
butan-2-ol is a secondary alcohol (middle of the chain) and can only oxidize to the ketone, butanone. A primary (end of the chain) can fully oxidize to the acid.
 
primary alcohols are first oxidised to aldehydes, then further oxidised to carboxylic acids.
secondary alcohols are oxidised only to ketones.

As long as there are more than 1 hydrogen atom on the carbon atom containing the OH group, oxidation can occur. (hope I'm right for this one)
 
Sounds good. If you want to be pedantic about it, you could argue that the complete oxidation would yield 4CO2, however.