1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identification of a ratio using Refractive indices (RESOLVED)

1. Sep 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the X of two substances using only the data found in lab. Which is: nmixture=1.4156 nbutan-2-one=1.3787
    ntoluene=1.4970 For the mixture, I don't know what X (the mole fraction) is. That is what I must find out.

2. Relevant equations
    nmixture= (Xbutan-2-one *nbutan-2-one) + (XToluene *nToluene)

3. The attempt at a solution
    IMG_20150906_212558.jpg
    What I did here is I said let x be equal to X for the butan-2-one and y be equal to X for the toluene....Then finding two equations to do a substitution...which obviously did not work...I also tried other things that basically ended up worse than this...I'm really stuck and I would need a lead! Thank you in advance for your help :) !

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2015 #2
    Oh, I actually found the solution... You have to add the X's which equal to one. With the system of equation you can substitute and only then you only have one unknown! (Is there a way to close the thread as it is not useful anymore :) )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted