What Are the Partial Pressures and Total Pressure in a Reaction Mixture?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Coffeepower
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
Coffeepower
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] PCHEM/Partial Pressures Question

Problem Statement:
A vessel of volume 22.4dm[tex]^{}3[/tex] contains 2.0 mol H[tex]_{}2[/tex] and 1.0 mol of N[tex]_{}2[/tex] at 273.15K initially. All the H[tex]_{}2[/tex]reacted with sufficient N[tex]_{}2[/tex] to form NH[tex]_{}3[/tex]. Calculate the partial pressures and the total pressure of the final mixture.

Variables and Magnitudes:
V = 22.4dm[tex]^{}3[/tex]
T = 273.15K
n[tex]_{}H_{}2[/tex]= 2.0 mol
n[tex]_{}N_{}2[/tex]= 1.0 mol

First Attempt:
2H[tex]_{}2[/tex]+N[tex]_{}2[/tex][tex]\rightarrow[/tex]NH[tex]_{}3[/tex]
It takes 1.5 mol of H[tex]_{}2[/tex] to make 1 mol of NH[tex]_{}3[/tex] so I was thinking that I should say that:

p[tex]_{}H_{}2[/tex] = p[tex]_{}total[/tex]*X[tex]_{}H_{}2[/tex] = ?

We would need to calculate the total pressure first for this.

I need a place to start this problem. I just can't put my finger on it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
After working on the problem some more; I found that there is a simple way to do the problem. Simply find the mole fractions with the number of moles given and calculate the total pressure with PV = nRT for 3 moles, and 22.4dm^3.

Not much more to it than that. The solution in the book matches up.