What Are the Partials of a 16 ft Open Organ Pipe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mozzalicious
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pipe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Mozzalicious
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What are the fundamental and first overtone (second partial) of an open (at both ends)
organ pipe 16 ft long?

Homework Equations


V=fλ


The Attempt at a Solution


V=fλ
343=f8
42.9 hz= f

I'm just not sure how to find partials :/ All help is appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mozzalicious said:
V=fλ
343=f8
If I'm interpreting that equation correctly, you're saying the fundamental wavelength in a 16ft doubly open pipe is 8m. That's a bit inaccurate. How do you arrive at that?
For the first overtone, how many wavelengths in the pipe?
 
haruspex said:
If I'm interpreting that equation correctly, you're saying the fundamental wavelength in a 16ft doubly open pipe is 8m. That's a bit inaccurate. How do you arrive at that?
For the first overtone, how many wavelengths in the pipe?

Well, I wouldn't say arrived so much as blundered into it lol. I don't really understand the question or partials so from everything I was able to find on partials I guessed 8. From the information the other things I could think of would be 16 or 2. I could provide the links to this information. I was kind of just throwing darts with something I didn't understand
 
Mozzalicious said:
Well, I wouldn't say arrived so much as blundered into it lol. I don't really understand the question or partials so from everything I was able to find on partials I guessed 8. From the information the other things I could think of would be 16 or 2. I could provide the links to this information. I was kind of just throwing darts with something I didn't understand

Maybe I should have emphasised parts of my question: 16 feet... 8 metres.
Do you know about nodes and antinodes? Do you get a node or antinode at the open end of a pipe? Can you draw a diagram?