What Are the Possible Values of Lz for an Electron in This State?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dg88
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
dg88
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I just came across a question that goes like this:

Consider an electron in a state |l=3, s=1/2, j=5/2,mj=3/2>

1) Find the possible values of Lz in this state.

2) Find the expectation value of Lz in this state.

It would be great if some one could guide with this question.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
we never give full solutions..

however, I can give you a hint:

expand |l=3, s=1/2, j=5/2,mj=3/2> in the basis of |l,m_l> and |s,m_s>

using a clebsh gordan table

if l = 3 and s = 1/2 and m_j = 3/2, then you can find out what m_l and m_s is contributing to this state since m_j = m_s + m_l (scalar addition)
 
thanks lot for your help...Actally I am having some trouble unerstanding this whole conceptI will tr it out.
 
Last edited: