What Are the Possible Values of L_x in a Quantum System with l=1?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
bznm
Messages
181
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I've a physical system with ##l=1## and I have to calculate the values I can obtain if I measure ##L_x## and their probability.

Homework Equations


I know that:

- the values I can obtain are ##\ m=0, \pm 1##
- ##\displaystyle L_x=\frac{L_+ + L_-}{2}##
- ##L_x|1, m>_x=\hbar m |1, m>_x##

The Attempt at a Solution



But I can't understand, for example, why I should obtain
##|1, 1>_x=\frac{1}{2}[|1,1>+\sqrt{2}|1,0>+|1,-1>] ##

(I have obtained ##|1, 1>_x=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} |1,0>##)

Can I have some hints?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bznm said:
But I can't understand, for example, why I should obtain
##|1, 1>_x=\frac{1}{2}[|1,1>+\sqrt{2}|1,0>+|1,-1>] ##
The three kets on the RHS are the eigenstates of ##L_z##. You are asked to represent the eigenstate of ##L_x##, ##|1,1\rangle_x## in terms of eigenstates of ##L_z##.

bznm said:
I've a physical system with l=1l=1 and I have to calculate the values I can obtain if I measure LxL_x and their probability.
You have to know precisely the state associated to your system. From what you are asked to do above, it seems like your system is already in one of the eigenstates of ##L_x## and you are asked to calculate the probability of finding the state in the eigenstates of ##L_z##.

bznm said:
(I have obtained ##|1, 1>_x=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} |1,0>##)

Can I have some hints?
It's obvious that the right handside is not normalized while the LHS is. How did you obtain this?
 
Last edited: