What are the practical applications of symmetric equations?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mill
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Symmetric
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
mill
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
It seems that the only applicable use I've seen is in finding intercepts on various axes. Are there any other instances where this form would used? What else can this be used for?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Matterwave said:
You have to be more specific.

I haven't seen symmetric equations used for anything but finding intercepts, but they can be found using the parametric equations as well. I was wondering in what other instances would it be helpful/necessary to use this form. E.g. a linear equation is helpful when there are certain terms vs point slope
 
By symmetric equation, do you mean a symmetric function? Like f(x)=x^2? Symmetric about what? This is what I meant by "more specific". Maybe you have a textbook with pictures to show?

As it stands, I have no idea what you're talking about.
 
Ok, well, as you can probably figure out by the fact that I don't even recall this terminology, I have never encountered another use for this way of expressing the equation of a line. But I am in physics. Maybe someone in math will know of some applications.