What Are the Products and Balancing Steps for These Chemical Reactions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
msimard8
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Here is my first question.

Cl2O + H2O ------->

I am pretty sure this is a synthesis reaction becasue it there is non metal oxide and a water. I also know a non metal oxide plus a water forms an acid. I predict this to be HClO3.

If that is the correct answer, I can't seem to balance the equation. Help


My second question is

C3H8 + 5O2 -----> ??

I am guessing this is single displacement. How to I obtain the product. Then how do i balance it.

Help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not too sure on the first reaction, you don't normally see Chlorine with a positie charge like that.

Bu the second reaction is a simple combustion reaction, producing Carbon Dioxide and Water (Steam).
Propane and excess Oxygen combust completely to form Carbon Dioxide and Water,
C3H8 + 5 O2 = 3 CO2 + 4 H2O
All complete combustion reactions profuce CO2 and H2O.
 
first equation gives you 2 HClO (hypochlorous acid)
Found it on google