What Are the Products of Chlorinating Diphenylether with Cl2 and FeCl3?

  • Thread starter Thread starter metalmagik
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
metalmagik
Messages
130
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show the product(s) of chlorination (Cl2, FeCl3) of diphenylether


Homework Equations


None


The Attempt at a Solution


My solutions manual shows products with Chlorine in the para position, and then the ortho position, with a note saying (followed by disubstitution)

I'm really just looking for some clearing up to this answer. I understand that the oxygen in diphenylether is an ortho/para director, therefore placing Chlorine in the ortho and para position. However, I just assumed this would happen on both phenyl rings. Does it depend on exactly how much Cl2 is provided?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it does matter how much chlorine is present. The question didn't ask about exhaustive chlorination, did it?
 
Nope! It simply put Cl2/FeCl3.

So if given that on a test it's best to assume only monosubstitution? Maybe noting possible disubstitution if more reagent is present?