1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the qualities required to be a physics professor?

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    I love teaching and I am interested in physics & maths. I am not brilliant in academics but a good student. I want to teach at the college level so please let me khow the requirements to be a physics professor.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Professor" is usually the title of a senior tenured position at a tertiary institution.
    You can teach at college level without being a professor - and it is common for docs and post-docs to do some teaching.

To teach, you need to have a postgrad degree, experience teaching, and a good rep with the admin and other staff.
    Personally you need people skills, a thick skin, and a love of the subject.

To advance, you need to do well academically to post-doc and beyond, do good research, get published (nobody cares how you did before doc which is a bonus). You will have noticed that professors are seldom picked for their teaching ability.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook