What are the recent advancements in quantum gravity?

In summary, some recent advances in quantum gravity include:-Holographic duality-The No Hair Theorem of Black Holes-String Theory-Quantum Gravity
ProtonNeutron
I am currently doing my masters in theoretical physics and I would like for my phd to be something quantum gravity oriented. However it seems hard to find what's "hot" in the field those past few years and I only know the basics of these topics (though I believe this can be improved). What are some of the relatively revent advances? Is getting into the field really worth it (asking this from a research perspective)? And if it is how do I approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyone has his own opinion on the matter. One of the most generaly accepted development is probably holographic duality.

Likes ProtonNeutron and atyy
ProtonNeutron said:
whats "hot"
That usually means that all the easy stuff has already been done.

From an article about Werner Israel (one of my undergrad professors):

Israel’s proof became known as the “No Hair Theorem of Black Holes, with “hair” being physicists’ slang for mathematical complications. It shows only two numbers are needed to describe any black hole: its mass and its spin.“

It surprised everybody,” said Israel. “Even Stephen was surprised and very, very impressed by that paper.”

He said Hawking in one of his popular books later credited Israel with having “revolutionized black-hole physics.”

“I think he was being a little too kind,” said Israel.

He called his discovery a mixture of luck and timing. It was early on in the physicists’ examination of black holes and not many were interested.

“Back then very few people even believed in them, even Einstein didn’t believe,” said Israel. “Black holes were just too exciting.”

“So it was very good to get in at the beginning.” he said. “It was actually very easy then to make great discoveries.”

• Love
Likes diogenesNY, AndreasC, pinball1970 and 4 others
Keith_McClary said:
That usually means that all the easy stuff has already been done.
Yeah that's obviously fair to say. However I still find the subject immensly interesting and compelling. I would like to examine some approaches like causal sets, causal dynamical triangulation or asymptotic safety as well as improve my general knowledge on the subject and its associated mathematics. I know this will surely be an extremely hard journey but I'm willing to take it.

Likes PeroK
Likes curious_mind and ProtonNeutron
Maybe the way classical spacetime emerges from quantum entanglement using tensor networks? See e.g. "It from bit", Van Raamsdonk, Preskil, etc.

Likes atyy

1. What is quantum gravity and why is it important?

Quantum gravity is a theory that aims to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity, two of the most successful theories in physics. It is important because it seeks to explain the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, such as those found in black holes and the early universe.

2. What are the recent advancements in quantum gravity?

Some recent advancements in quantum gravity include the development of new mathematical frameworks, such as loop quantum gravity and string theory, which attempt to merge quantum mechanics and general relativity. There has also been progress in understanding the role of entanglement and information in quantum gravity, as well as the study of the holographic principle.

3. How do these advancements impact our understanding of the universe?

These advancements have the potential to greatly impact our understanding of the universe by providing a more complete and unified theory of how the laws of physics work. They may also help us better understand phenomena such as black holes, the Big Bang, and the nature of space and time.

4. Are there any practical applications of quantum gravity?

At this point, there are no direct practical applications of quantum gravity. However, advancements in this field could potentially lead to new technologies and insights in areas such as quantum computing and space exploration.

5. What are the challenges in further advancing our understanding of quantum gravity?

One of the main challenges in further advancing our understanding of quantum gravity is the lack of experimental evidence. Since the scales at which quantum gravity operates are extremely small, it is difficult to test and verify theories in this field. Additionally, there is still much debate and disagreement among scientists about which approach to quantum gravity is the most promising.