What are the responsibility of a system engineer?

In summary, the individual is currently pursuing engineering and is interested in learning more about system engineering. They request advice and resources for further information.
ThomasG
I am currently going to school to become an engineer and have not yet picked a major I. I have looked into the many other fields of engineering but haven't found much on system engineer. I was hoping someone could tell me more about the field and what it entails. If there is a website or place I could go to learn more about it it would be helpful. Any and all advice is helpful as well. Thank You for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ThomasG,

May I suggest that you start by reading, then studying, and then learning all that Wikipedia has written about Systems Engineering at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_engineering

Be sure to visit the "See Also" sites and the "References". This is guaranteed to give you an overview. Then, learn to use the valuable tool called Google search to narrow your area of interest and find exactly the information you desire.

After all that, if you have any doubts or any specific questions, do come right back here and post them. Members here at Physics Forums are always ready and willing to assist a true searcher.

Bobbywhy

1. What is the role of a system engineer?

A system engineer is responsible for designing, testing, and implementing complex systems to meet specific project requirements. They are involved in all stages of a system's life cycle, from conception to maintenance, and work closely with other engineers and stakeholders to ensure that the system meets all technical and functional specifications.

2. What are the key responsibilities of a system engineer?

The responsibilities of a system engineer include analyzing project requirements, creating system architecture and design, developing and testing prototypes, managing system integration, ensuring system security and reliability, and providing ongoing support and maintenance.

3. How does a system engineer differ from other types of engineers?

A system engineer has a broad scope of responsibilities and works on complex systems that involve multiple components and technologies. They also collaborate with various stakeholders, including other engineers, project managers, and end-users, to ensure that the system meets all functional and technical requirements.

4. What skills are essential for a system engineer?

A system engineer must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of systems and software engineering principles. They should also possess excellent communication and teamwork skills to collaborate with other engineers and stakeholders effectively.

5. What are the qualifications required to become a system engineer?

The minimum educational requirement for a system engineer is a bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field. However, many employers prefer candidates with a master's degree and several years of experience in the field. Certifications in specific technologies or systems can also be beneficial for a system engineer's career advancement.