What Are the Scariest Movies You've Ever Watched?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oerg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Movies
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
76 replies · 11K views
I was 10-ish when I first saw Terminator 2. I had nightmares that the liquid metal terminator killed my friends and family and disguised itself as them to get to me. Not fun. Of course, you grow up and see it as an action sci-fi thriller, not a horror film.

'Communion' gave me the willies as a kid, too.

Most recent 'scary movie' I saw was 'No Country for Old Men.' The cold brutality of the killer was chilling.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I definitely find the scariest movies to be the ones that delve into the darkness of men. Films like Silence of the Lambs, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Fatal Attraction, etc. - people and events that have a possibility of actually occurring.

But for oogey-boogey films, for me the scariest scene was in "Pet Sematary" when the wife was recounting her younger years caring for her elder sister Zelda, and the images of that meningitis afflicted twisted person... *shiver*
 
I love seeing people's reactions on shows like Scare Tactics when they get scared. It's entertaining!

A bunch of college guys trying to scare people (very funny!):
 
Last edited by a moderator:
i'm surprised nobody has mentioned fire in the sky. maybe it's too obscure, or maybe nobody else thinks it's scary. :-p
 
I find TV a lot more scary than any movie. For example, seeing how screwed up and twisted this society is when I woke up one morning last week and the only thing that was on TV were endless stories about Obamas daughters starting school. #$%& all of the people dieing in wars or increased tensions with the worlds nuclear powers, let's see what the Obama kids are eating for lunch today! :eek:
 
Topher925 said:
I find TV a lot more scary than any movie. For example, seeing how screwed up and twisted this society is when I woke up one morning last week and the only thing that was on TV were endless stories about Obamas daughters starting school. #$%& all of the people dieing in wars or increased tensions with the worlds nuclear powers, let's see what the Obama kids are eating for lunch today! :eek:
True but the media knows that people don't want to watch war and death 24/7.
 
Scared by a movie? No not really. Very disturbed by a movie, absolutely. In one of the Kill Bill movies the main characters was buried alive.. that disturbed me.

Also I found the Orphanage (In Spanish, with English sub titles) to be very disturbing. If you have not seen this movie..see it.

I will not watch any more of either of the Saw or Hostel series simply because the basic idea is very disturbing to me. I do not enjoy that type of movie.

I really prefer a good comedy... ie not Adam Sandler, Wayans brothers etc ...


Give Pineapple Express a watch.. I kept thinking... why am I laughing at this?
 
The only thing that makes me uncomfortable while watching a film is heights.

In Crocodile Dundee 2, where Hogan walk es along a ledge way up high gave me the cringes.
 
Possible spoilers:I always remember watching 'Dead of Night' (1945) as a kid which made an impression, particularly the short story about the mirror.

The last 10-15 minutes of the Spanish movie '[Rec]' (2007) are pretty damn creepy.

'Le cabina' (1972), a short Spanish movie.Steve
 
Last edited:
Mothman Prophecies got me. Not sure why, but perhaps it was because you never get a good look at the ... whatever, so the imagination can takeover which is a far better persuader. Mothman avoids most of the usual horror tricks, which set off the BS alarm and spoil the effect.
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi988872985/
 
stevebd1 said:
The last 10-15 minutes of the Spanish movie '[Rec]' (2007) are pretty damn creepy.

Good to see [Rec] getting mentioned... although I'm not a horror fan, it's a fine movie to say the least.


When i was 12 or so, i saw "It", and that clown and balloons filled with blood were kind of freaky. I thought the end (where it turns into a spider?) was lame, though. Event Horizon (1997) was pretty scary too.

The only movie that left me with a creepy feeling even after viewing it when i was older than 18, was Requiem For a dream (2000). That was seriously messed up. When i re-watched it a year later, i didn't get that same feeling at all, though.



By the way, I'm excluding gory-moments, of which there are plenty today, but the scene where Murphy is getting killed in Robocop wasn't very comfortable to see.
 
LennoxLewis said:
When i was 12 or so, i saw "It", and that clown and balloons filled with blood were kind of freaky. I thought the end (where it turns into a spider?) was lame, though. Event Horizon (1997) was pretty scary too.
If you watch it on borrowed VHS and - due to the fact that it is 4 hours long and comes on two tapes - you inadvertantly watch Part II first, followed by Part I...

it is not so scary.

Though it is quite confusing.
 
For me, I just watched the exorcist recently in the dead of the night and it scared the crap outta me. I wasn't able to get to sleep for the rest of the night.

It has got to be the scariest movie i ever watched.
I don't know, that one was just kind of boring.

I tell you what. I was scared after seeing Zeitgeist, and 1984. Those were scary.
 
mheslep said:
Mothman Prophecies got me. Not sure why, but perhaps it was because you never get a good look at the ... whatever, so the imagination can takeover which is a far better persuader. Mothman avoids most of the usual horror tricks, which set off the BS alarm and spoil the effect.
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi988872985/

I expected the worst but that was a pretty decent movie. Very creepy to be sure!

Watched it twice now.
 
DaveC426913 said:
Not that I want to come down on you like a ton of bricks...
No offense taken.

DaveC426913 said:
...but you remind me of many people who seem to feel that movies are an opportunity for showing how clever they are.
Nah, I just really saw that coming way too easily.


DaveC426913 said:
They miss a point that everyone else gets intuitively. The act of watching a movie - for all but these types - is premised by the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief" . Key word here being willing.

It is only partially the job of the audience to be open to the premise and suspend their doubts. It is the job of the movie to give the audience a reasonable excuse to sustain this.

For instance, in the Shining, the possibility is always there that everything we are seeing is the result of cabin fever.

I just thought that the Exorcist was not nearly as creepy as it was purported to be. However I have watched it more than once and the second viewing was better than the first.
 
Last edited by a moderator: